Sender:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:28:37 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>

> Our company recently developed an online tool on our company intranet
> for viewing our msds.  After the msds is scanned, we are retaining the
> hard copy.  My question: does the hard copy remain the Original
> (official) and the scanned version become the copy?

That's up to you.  If you change your policy to state you are now capturing
and managing the information electronically and no longer managing it in
paper form, then you can declare it your "Official Record".  I'm not
necessarily supporting the concept, but it's do-able.

The purpose of
> creating the electronic version is strickly for an online tool for our
> employees to access.  (Now that I've read my question back, I think I've
> answered it!)   Any comments?

Because these are crucial documents, you need to find some way to establish
a policy that ensures all updates are placed into the system IMMEDIATELY on
receipt, and IF YOU DECIDE to continue using the paper copy as your
"Official Record", you may want to consider adding a note on the images
something like

"these are NOT Official Records, to verify you are working with the most
current data, contact XYZ"

Larry
--
Larry Medina