Sender:
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 11:14:32 -0400
<One of the challenges with GIS in government jurisdictions is how to
link documents like permits, easements, and Environmental Impact
Statements to locations on the map. How do you manage the life-cycle of
the layers and their association with the map!>

A challenge we have been having to face here in the water utility.  It
is intriguing and certainly complex! We base some business decisions
(such as repairs, new services, etc.) on our GIS map information so they
have a "legal" retention value (amongst other values) for liability
issues. The best we can do at this time is produce "snapshots" as output
and save them in pdf until we come up with a better solution for
capturing the data for long-term use.  I did write an article (oh no!
here she goes again!) on the RIM impact of geospatial technologies (of
which GIS is but one) for the Winter 2004 ICRM newsletter in "Learning
About... ."  Members of the Institute can view the article in the
newsletter archives on the website.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager