Sender:
From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:46:42 -0500
An interesting problem was called in to me yesterday from another educational institution.

A department head of a medical teaching area took possession of 30 cubic feet of records from a hospital/clinic from out of state. Their intent is to redact the personal information and use the clinical information for teaching students.

I see some real problems here. What are the ethics of sending "old" patient records out of state? Who drives the redaction process? What is redacted? Who "owns" these records? Why didn't the original institution destroy the records in accordance with a retention schedule?
I was told some clerks with magic markers were "redacting" the records. I think I was called because they were having problems with using markers. The print was still readable.

The entire project smells and I recommended that the records manager find out more. Who dreamed this little gem up?

What do you think about this?

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA
Manager of Records Services
University of Illinois Foundation