Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:49:26 -0600
Deborah,

Bill does address some of the more salient points (being from the third
largest nuclear power in the world he tends to dwell on the technology
side). The largest hinderence I see to maintaining current technolgy for 50
years is going to be the abilty of folks to run it. How many of you folks
remember your DOS commands? Did you you keep a copy of DOS for Dummies
laying around so you can use it? What about the arcane key strokes? So you
have a disk, do you remember how to run it?

Having said that, Yes I think that just about about anything can be achieved
with enough money. The question is, do you get an adequate return on the
investment. Even Carlin seemed to adopt that attitude when discussing
permanent records.

Keep in mind also, the "record" in the electronic world is different from
the paper world. In paper world the original version is the Record (the
shortest distance between two points is a straight line). In the electronic
world, the most recent version is the record (the shortest distance between
two points may not be a straight line). The question then becomes for what
purpose are you retaining non record material fro 50 years? Seems like an
expensive and time consuming waste of resources.

Chris Flynn