Sender:
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:44:13 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 10/27/06, Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Some cursory searching around led me to at least 20 different
> attributions;

For those folks really interested in reading about the potential of this
actually happening and some of the realistic reasons why it won't be an
acceptable alternative in some environments, I'd suggest the following:

*The Myth of the Paperless Office *by Abigail J.
Sellen<http://www.amazon.com/s/002-3456655-2988835?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Sellen%2C%20Abigail%20J.>,
Richard H. R. Harper<http://www.amazon.com/s/002-3456655-2988835?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Harper%2C%20Richard%20H.%20R.>

and

*Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on Paper *by Nicholson
Baker<http://www.amazon.com/s/002-3456655-2988835?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Baker%2C%20Nicholson>

And you may also find this of interest:

http://www.lri.fr/~mackay/pdffiles/DARE2000.Dangerous.pdf

Wikipedia has no particular notes about this quote but notes that Business
> Week first opined about the "Paperless Office" in 1975 so it'd need to be
> after that. Today I use that quote and attribute it to "someone", "a
> really
> smart person", or some such.

And while I may not fit into Jesse's proposed definitions of who said it,
I've been saying this since back in 1989 when a large utility firm I worked
for at the time proposed the concept for us to adopt. I seriously doubt
we'll ever see it happen totally, but I can see where there may be some
aspects of the modern office that will go that way.

Anyone out there that manages Federal Records under the auspices of the Code
of Federal Regulations (whether you work for an Agency directly, or are a
Contractor or Subcontractor) know that the concept of a paperless
environment is a pipe smoke dream.

And as I looked, I also noted a number of
> instances of actual paperless toilets - but not one paperless office. :)

Like Cherise (and others) have suggested these exist in France, but then
again, there are many things they do in France that are best left there.
=^P  This MAY be one of them...

Larry

--
Larry Medina