Sender:
From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:50:36 -0800
Lisa, I think the confusion is that you are not clearly citing
organizational relationships and what you mean by "roles and
responsibilities", which vary from place to place. My sense is you are
also dealing with a particular model which may not be as commonly in use
as is thought (a common problem with business models). If it is the
latter, a clearer identification of the model you are following may be
helpful (for example, we recently followed a "shared services" model).
The following examples might be helpful in getting a clearer
understanding of what you are trying to achieve:

1) Policy responsibilities: as a manager of a county agency, I have
certain procurement responsibilities, even though I am not a Purchasing
employee. Therefore, the Purchasing Role and Responsibilities of Records
Management is to follow applicable Purchasing policies when we perform
those duties. In the same manner, SCM/Purchasing's role would be to
follow applicable RM policies.

2) Service responsibilities: I operate as a provider of records
management services. Therefore, RMs role/responsibilities for Purchasing
is to facilitate their compliance with RM requirements and use of RM
services in a manner that meets their business needs. In this light, the
role/responsibility of SCM/Purchasing in Records Management is to
support RMs efforts in procuring systems and services related to records
management. These are often captured in what are commonly called
"service level agreements".

3) Organizational responsibilities: In Multnomah County, Records
Management is part of a larger division described in the address below.
We support that division in various ways not directly related to records
management (for example, I chair the division safety committee) while
the division performs certain tasks for us (such as invoice processing).
Its unclear in what you have said so far whether this is a similar
situation with SCM/Purchasing - is RM part of this division, and are
there organizational responsibilities within that division?

4) Community/Customer Responsibilities: We also have responsibilities to
the community: encouraging diversity, promoting sustainable practices,
encouraging openness and accountability, preserving community memory,
reducing costs. These generally are stated in mission or vision
statements. Perhaps this is more of what you are trying to capture.

Perhaps if you could better clarify within the above framework, folks
may be better able to offer advice.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741