Sender:
From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:04:57 -0800
I'm writing from Brussels, hence the timestamp on this missive. Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to attend ARMA's first real foray into the EU at the RoundTable that we sponsored called, "Information Security, Protection, and Preservation: How to ensure business continuity whilst taking into account regulatory compliance, accessibility, and privacy aspects”. The event attracted over 80 individuals representing various EU governmental entities, as well as a number of records managers and archivists from within the EU. I would hazard to say that it was a successful venture. While many of the speakers presented papers on topics that were not directly on task of records management, it was the role of the ARMA Board members present to relate these topics to records management and the role that records management can play in bringing these issues together. I made a point of referring to our practitioners as "records management professionals". Apparently, later in the session, one audience member stated that he did not believe that records managers were "professionals". Unfortunately, his accent and my jet lag caused me to not hear him say that (it was pointed out to me later) or I would have asked him to step outside to discuss this further.

So yes, we have an image problem. As Peter noted, Records Managers need greater visibility in the SOC (Standard Occupational Classifications). ARMA is moving forward on that front. The SOC is just beginning its next round of revisions and ARMA has committed to deliver proper classifications for our profession. The upcoming release of the Competencies will help us in that endeavor. We'll also need your help on the finalization of the Competencies and support for the SOC.

Frankly, if Records Managers are content to sit in the basement surrounded by their paper, boxes, and files, they deserve their fate. You are either a victim or you take advantage of the opportunities that you are given and pull yourself up. If your present employer doesn't have a vision for records management, find one who does.

I was in London yesterday. At the Eurostar terminal, I picked up a book in the bookstore. It is called "The Rules of Work", by Richard Templar. http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Work-Unspoken-Getting-Business/dp/0131858386 Mr. Templar is pretty brutal in defining "rules" that a person needs to use to get ahead in the workplace. I've only read a couple of chapters, but I would recommend it. Too often, I think we records managers tend to be victims, pouting about how we don't get recognized, how we don't get funded, or how no one appreciates us. Well, if you read Templar's book, you'll find that no one really cares for victims in the workplace and that you must seize the opportunity to make of your career what you want it to be. First, that means being an expert in your field. Second, it means finding opportunities in bad news to advance yourself and your initiatives. Third, it means creating an image for yourself that lifts you out of the basement.

Those of us who have had the opportunity to step up have been able to do many good things in our organizations. I applaud Mimi's approach to extending and expanding her knowledge. I, too, am a liberal arts major who was on a Archives course until I found the better pay and glamour of records management (ok, better pay). And those of you who know me, know what a geek I am about technology. There's a reason for that. Our records world is continually changing and we need to follow the records and provide solutions for managing those records. We also need to be able to speak about project management and business value. And, most of all, we need to be conversant with technology and law.

I've been promoting a construct of records management that seems to make a lot of sense to me and some others. I see records management as having three tiers. In some cases, these tiers reside in one person or a single department. But the principle of the division into tiers remains true. The top tier is strategy and policy, the middle tier is process development, the bottom tier is service delivery. I would suggest that records managers who focus on service delivery should be looking for a new job. Service delivery is a commodity and it is something that can be provided by just about anyone. Now, before some of you start heaving rocks in my direction, let me explain... A properly organized records center should run like clockwork. A request is made; a file or box is delivered. The retention schedule sets the retention and records are disposed of. You don't need to be a records expert to make that work well. The key to that is PROCESS. That's where the middle layer comes in. Focusing on developing consistent process and application of that process by staff (in records and in the organization as a whole) is critical to a smoothly operating records program. I would suggest that records managers need to focus more on process than on delivery. Good process enables the principles of proper records management to further be translated into management of non-physical records. So if my paper process collects good index values and sets proper retention periods, I should also be able to manage electronic records. And I can do that by defining good business requirements for the systems that will manage those records. At the top of the feeding chain should be strategy and policy. This is primarily a networking responsibility and one which means that you have to be able to manage relationships with many constituencies. The records manager will work as internal consultant, providing solutions to records problems.The greatest value that a records manager can provide his or her organization will be at this level.

So yes, we have a ways to go. But we are making progress, notwithstanding those who continue to see us as something other than professionals. Your approach to your work is key to changing those perceptions in your organization as well as in the greater world. You can choose to bemoan the fact that you live below the cardboard ceiling, or you can choose to break through and demonstrate professional bearing and value to your organization. ARMA is working to help you, but you also have to help ARMA know what you need.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM