Sender:
From:
"Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:02:29 -0500
Last week we were discussing a revised email policy which would have
required that all city employees use their city email accounts, not
their private email services, during business hours or for the conduct
of city business.

Then we learned, that same week, that Verizon's email service is
blocking all incoming email with a ".us" extension.  Those ".us"
messages are blocked as spam.

The undeliverable notice we receive back says:

            There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's
email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
            <mail.ci.nashua.nh.us #5.5.0 smtp;550 You are not allowed to
send mail:sv6pub.verizon.net>

Thus in order to respond to email inquiries coming from citizens using
Verizon, I have had to use my personal email account, not the city
account which has a ".us" extension.  Otherwise, our residents will
never get a reply from our office.

I'm not sure what will happen with our email policy draft, but this
annoying little problem points to the need for some flexibility in our
new policy.  And hopefully Verizon fixes the problem soon, if they have
not already done so.

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street