Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:34:18 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
I always took it the other way - particular for postings that not only do
not include salary requirements, but make salary history a mandatory part of
the response to the post. I suspect that many organizations a) do not know
what to pay for a particular position, especially if it's a new one; b)
don't know how to set the pay for the position - or are unwilling to work
with e.g. an HR consulting firm to do so; and/or c) expect to be able to
depress the salary by requiring salary history and then offering between
slightly below and slightly above what the successful candidate reports.

Patrick's basic point of course remains germane - if I self-report my salary
at $90K, and the position sets a range between $50K and $95K, both of us
could be being disingenuous (and both end up unhappy).

I think the competencies project and the follow-up that gets the DoL
classification will help somewhat.

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
Yahoo! IM: jessewilkins8511
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.