Sender:
From:
"Russell D. James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:36:05 -0500
I work at the Louisiana Office of Risk Management.  We are currently
debating whether to continue scanning and storing records in TIFF format or
convert the documents once scanned into PDF.  I am not sure if the FileNet
ECMS system we use converts to a PDF format conformable to the pdf/a
standard.

These records are stored for a retention period of five years, then they are
destroyed.  Our insurance adjustors often email the scanned files to outside
agencies and offices.  These outside persons have indicated that they can
always read the PDF files, but the TIFF files are not always readable, for
whatever reason.

Given that we do not have control over the other agencies' computer systems
and software, and therefore cannot solve their problems with accurately
rendering their TIFF files, I'm asking you for thoughts and especially
published literature on using PDF format for short-term retention of
official government records.  Any help is appreciated.

Russell D. James, M.A.

MLIS student

Archives management specialization

Louisiana State University