Sender:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:47:49 -0500
From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Sorry, Jesse, I disagree--it's INdefensible. Here's why:

You said:

- It's a white paper for using a Microsoft product to store records, a
significant portion of which are created using other Microsoft products
[Grevin, Fred] BUT it's a PUBLICLY-available White Paper, not "for MS
Word Users Only"!

- Office 2007 has been out for a full year
[Grevin, Fred] Yes, I have it at home--alas for me:  it'll take me
forever to learn the new interface (driving me crazy in the meantime).
Switching between Word 2003 (my office) and Word 2007 (home) makes it
worse. Conclusion:  I should have downloaded OpenOffice.

- Microsoft offers free viewers for Office 2007 files
[Grevin, Fred] Every computer (Windows--Mac--Linux) sold in the last X
years has the Acrobat Reader. Who wants to download a Special Viewer
just for MS Word 2007????

- Microsoft offers a Compatibility Pack that allows Office 2000-2003 to
open, edit, and save .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx files from Office 2007
[Grevin, Fred] I tried the Compatibility Pack--it didn't help, and I'm
not about to WASTE MY TIME trying to figure out why---which brings us
back to the main point: if MS wanted to publish this White Paper to a
Broad Audience, why use a limited-distribution file format?????

Fred Grevin