Sender:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:42:01 -0700
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
On 7/24/08, Phil anthi R. Koslowski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have been working in an information services related field for several years that
> provides essential information that contributes to the bottom line. However, my
> (and that of many other practitioners) frustrations are that organizations usually
> place the position/department/function lower on the organizational hierarchy
> chart than its importance would dictate and more often than not there is a lack of
> autonomy in day to day and overall operations. These and other factors
> contribute to a "status" problem (for lack of a better word) that has plagued the
> profession since its inception, despite the fact that more and more, an MILS is
> becoming a required qualification.
In the public sector this may still be true.  But in the private
sector I am seeing more and more records management positions (and
departments) at a higher level in the organization.  My current
position is at the Director's level and I know a few other RMs who are
at least at this level if not higher in their organization.

As far as status, to a certain degree we as a profession have done it
to ourselves.  We do a poor job of tooting our horn and showing what
benefits we can provide to the organization.  In addition, I still run
into records management professionals that are leery of getting
involved in the electronic side even though that is where our present
and future reside.

One of the ways I've overcome this perception is to take on tasks that
others in the organization (particularly IT) may not want to or have
the skills sets to deal with.  I also share some of PK's RAIN postings
with my IT and Legal management as a way to get points across or show
them how RM affects their areas, using real life examples.

As an aside, I'm seeing more and more postings (in the private sector
anyway) seeking candidates with degrees in business.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Orange County, CA