Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:47:53 -0700
>I recently posted a question regarding e-mail retention practices and I
>appreciate the feedback.  However, I would like to expand my question a bit.
>I understand that the practice of grouping emails as a whole and having them
>set up on a "mass" retention basis is not the preferred way to manage e-mail,
>however, I have to believe that many financial institutions are doing just
>that.  In the absence of evaluating content and declaring e-mails as records,
>how are other financial institutions handling their e-mail retention?  Any
>other records managers from financial institutions out there who will provide
>feedback?  Thank you!

Sure, you're right that the proper way of applying retention to
records isn't always done with e-mails because it isn't easy to do
and it takes both time and effort to properly accomplish,. and worst
yet, it takes involvement of the individuals both sending and
receiving the messages to work.

So, what's the "next best thing"?   Well, a lot of the answer here
depends on how heavily regulated your organization is, and the
financial services industry is EXTREMELY heavily regulated... and the
rest of it depends on how risk tolerant versus risk averse your
organization is.

There are risks related to retaining information too long, and there
are risks related to not retaining it long enough.   If you discard
it before you're allowed to (by regulation, law or statute), then you
can get in trouble with the regulators- how much trouble and the
impact it has on your ability to operate (or your executives wearing
orange jump suits) depends on why they're looking for the information
and if it can be proven that it was purposefully discarded.  Worse
yet, is if you have a documented policy or procedure requiring people
to discard information in time frames shorter than the required
retention, or if (a'la Arthur Andersen) there is a smoking gun
directive from someone telling people to destroy information.

The opposite is if you retain it longer than required.  The worst
thing that happens here is your organizations spends a little extra
money for storage and management of unnecessary information, and in
the event o fa legal action, if you have information you could have
legitimately destroyed in compliance with your retention schedule-
you will have to produce it.  There could be information here that
would be damaging to your case, or a client of yours, and the fact
that it wasn't discarded in the course of normal business and in
keeping with the retention schedule could be costly.  Also, retaining
it longer than required increases the scope of the effort to produce
information because you have a larger than necessary universe of
information to search through.

Again, a'la Arthur Andersen... they had an approved retention
schedule allowing them to discard work papers 5 years after an audit,
but got lazy and just "kept them hanging around".  When they found
out there was a pending lawsuit and this information could be
potentially damaging to their client, an attorney of the firm
notified managers to "ensure they were complying with the retention
schedule and only retaining information as long as required".  This
resulted in large volumes of information that was pertinent to a
lawsuit being purposefully and intentionally destroyed, and we all
know the outcome of this.

So, someone has to determine the potential negative impacts of
keeping information longer than required, and then make a decision if
ALL E-MAIL should be retained for the LONGEST REQUIRED retention
period... or conversely, the negative impacts of not retaining it
long enough, and make a decision to discard ALL E-MAIL after some
arbitrary time period.   The most important thing is whatever
decision is made, ensure EVERYONE FOLLOWS IT TO THE LETTER, because
if some e-mail is being destroyed too early or other e-mail is being
held too long, the whole thing ends up casting a bas light on the
organization's ability to comply with even their own stated policies
and practices, and regulators REALLY don't like that.  Selective
application of policy reeks of wrongdoing.

Larry
---
Larry Medina
A RIM Professional since 1972