Sender:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:47:39 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I consider myself to be in a rather typical business situation when it
> comes
> to e-mail volume, and did a bit of tracking over the last 3 days.  Now mind
> you, this was a Friday through Sunday, so it may not reflect a typical
> business week, but I intend to continue the count for the week and see
> where
> it goes.
>
> Here's the data:

Kudos to LarryM for doing the type of analysis that should be done when
implementing an email management system. for the last couple of years I've
been telling customers and friends alike that you MUST analyse the traffic
within a department to understand how they use email and for what purpose.

I consider myself to be an atypical email user in that I do not receive
private communications at my business email address, nor do I use it when I
register myself on websites to obtaining content such as white papers and
other materials.  By doing this I drastically cut down on the amount of
email that hits my business account.
I have 3 other email accounts that I use for listservs, jokes, news alerts,
family and friends. I accept the fact that not eveyone is able to access
web-base email accounts such as gmail, hotmail and yahoo while at work. But
if you want to cut down on the amount of email you receive at work consider
setting up just such an account and access it when you get home.

I think I'll try LarryM's experiment this week since I'm working from home
this week and it will be interesting to see how much email does hit my
business account and the percentages

So once again my hat's off to LarryM for coming up with objective data

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va