Sender:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 17:25:11 -0400
From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Absolutely, Dwight. That is why they try to find locations close to a good
energy source, like the Columbia River.

You are right, too, about any of our solutions. I arrange virtual guest
speakers for my online classes and two this summer were on the issue of
long-term preservation: one from the Library of Congress speaking about
archiving election websites and the other from the Electronic Records
Department of the NY State Archives.  Their message to students basically
was this is what we're trying but ... we have a long way to go. I loved the
title for the NYS archives presentation, "There's a Hole in the Bucket: One
Institution's Method of Preserving Electronic Records".  And they were only
addressing  preservation issues for records that had permanent retention
requirements, not assigning specific retention periods or worrying about
producing specific records upon demand.

We do have a long way to go.

Patricia C. Franks, Ph.D., CRM
MARA Program Coordinator