Sender:
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 21:28:34 -0400
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Nick Naubert <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I spoke with a librarian at the Sec. of WA State, and she informed
> me there are no laws or regulations pertaining to the retention of civil
> engineering records. I was a little shocked to hear that, and having no
> luck
> with the rest of my resources, I thought the listserve may be able to shed
> some light.

actually not that unusual. Does the CE firm operate only in Washington
State? or other states. just because a retention requirement is not
explicitly stated doesn't mean that there isn't a requirement. many times
laws or regulations will say "shall maintain" a phrase easily passed over by
many. in the case of the CE firm you may want to look at the various statute
of limitations with regards to tort actions.

finally if there truly doesn't exist a specific retention requirement then
the organization needs to determine the operational, administrative,
financial, legal (ie contractual/statute/regulation) or historical need for
the record(s) by the organization.

let me suggest that the CE firm visit the ARMA bookstore and purchase a copy
of the ANSI/ARMA standard Retention Management for Records and Information
for a start.
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va