Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:25:22 -0400
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 20:26:10 +0400, NKhramtsovsky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Peter Kurilecz >> then people need to know how one can become a member
>> of a national working group. Is there a secret handshake involved
>> in becoming a member?
>
>Don't know how it is in the US. In Russia one should contact an existing
>national technical committee/subcommittee in liaison with ISO TC 46/SC 11
>(at present there are two of them) . The subcommittee can arrange access to
>the ISO information system through national standardization body.

Allow me to attempt to state this as dispassionately as possible.

In the past, and for many years, THERE WAS A PROCESS IN PLACE to ensure US
RIM practitioners were informed about these activities and were even
provided an opportunity to review documents in draft phase and submit
comments through the subcommittee in liaison with TC46, but for a number of
reasons, we lost that opportunity.

At one time, the direct voice to the TC belonged to a professional
organization many of us are associated with that is accredited by ANSI to
produce standards for the RM Community, but they lost the TAG due to staff
changes and a failure to act to replace the representative. It was picked up
by another organization whose interests are much more narrow than the entire
RIM Profession, focused more on the needs of the Federal community.

The prior organization began to get involved with ISO again after a couple
of years gap, and was even encouraged by the Committee Chair to form a Task
Force of well known, seasoned RIM Professionals from across many industry
segments to work as what was known as an "External Review Task Force".  The
scope and purpose of this group was to perform reviews of Standards,
Technical Reports and other Publications generated from outside of the
organization, such as NFPA, AIIM, NIST, NARA and especially ISO to determine
if they were consistent with US RIM Practices and to develop comments for a
consolidated response through the accredited ANSI organization.

Unfortunately, due to changes in practices and organization, and a few
strange turns of events, this entire process broke down and there was no
longer anyone who kept an eye out for standards, technical reports, and
other publications that would potentially have an impact on US RIM
Professionals.  No one was alerted to their existence, of the need to review
them, nor was there any process to consolidate comments and submit them
through one accredited source.

And that's how we've gotten to the place we're at.  A few of us happen to
find these when they come out and alert the membership here to their
existence, and occasionally, some people will get engaged and review them
and submit comments... but they're coming from private parties- not from an
accredited organization.  They may be considered, but they don't have the
same impact, and they aren't always accepted or even responded to.

In speaking to AIIM's Standards Coordinator, Betsy Fanning, TC171 is willing
to accept comments from "all comers" and submit them as a consolidated
response to ISO for the TC46 documents if anyone is interested in providing
them to her.  There is quite a bit of overlap between the work of TC171 and
46 these days, especially from a US viewpoint, because we don't make as
heavy a distinction between the 'source' of a record (electronic or physical
process).  Hopefully we will see some movement to consolidate the work of
these two Committees in the future.

Larry