Sender:
From:
Katherine Huit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:40:31 -0700
As a museum professional who is now working in records management /
document control (a great fall back when one looses a position due to
economic cut backs), I have a few comments and questions regarding the
'non-permanent documents' in question.

First, in designing exhibits I frequently used non-permanent documents as
exhibit props. Most of the time, these items were photocopies of
originals; however, if loaned we required an agreement prior to our
acquisition, which determined the disposition of the item(s) at the close
of the exhibit. So, the first lesson: require clear documentation of a
loan prior to its execution.

Most archives / museums have collections management policies. They should
define what happens to a 'non-permanent document'. In archives and museums
- generally speaking - acquisitions are 'permanent' items that have some
sort of historic value.

I've written several collection management policies for museums and
historical societies, which define three types of collections: Permanent;
Educational / Research; and Utilitarian / Commodity.

A Permanent Collection includes items with historic and lasting value.

An Education or Research Collection contains expendable items - visitors
can touch these things, curators can use these items as exhibit props, and
educators frequently use items from this collection in traveling trunks
that visit schools, etc. We consider these items ‘non-permanent’.

The third collection usually contains items that the organization can sell
/ trace to benefit its collection. In this case, a donation agreement will
clearly define the status of the objects as items to sell for a stated
purpose. For example, the organization may use funds from the sale to
purchase items that they wish to add to the Permanent Collection - items
which they have defined in their collections plan to fulfill their
mission.

The archive / museum’s Collections Management Policy also defines the
process for deaccessioning and disposition of items acquired but later
found as unneeded for one reason or another.

So, where does a non-permanent document fall? In my opinion, it would fall
in the second category under education / research; HOWEVER, IT DEPENDS! It
depends on a duly executed loan agreement. Minus the loan agreement,
non-permanent would mean just that – expendable - and would result in
disposal of the item.

Now, on the other hand, if the organization acquires documents via
donation, the donation / gift agreement will clearly define the
disposition of the documents (e.g., to which collection they will belong).

And, finally, if the organization determines it no longer needs the item
(e.g., it doesn’t fit the organizational mission, it is not of good
quality, etc.), personnel should follow the procedures outlined in the
organization’s collections management policy for its de-accession and
disposal.

One additional scenario: If the document belongs to a ‘parent’ company to
which the archive / museum has a connection, and the document is provided
to the archive / museum for preservation and/or retention, then the
archive / museum has the duty to care for those items as prescribed in its
policies. For example, if the archive / museum has the responsibility to
care for the ‘parent’ company’s records, then it should further define if
that care encompasses a records management program (and the duly defined
retention schedules that go along with that program). If, on the other
hand, the archive / museum has the responsibility to care for the ‘parent’
company’s historical records and objects, then the archive / museum should
refer to its collection management policy and define in which collection
the item belongs. Whatever the case, the records / object should be
clearly marked as those belonging to or donated by the parent
organization.

All organizations caring for collections defined as permanent should have
a collections management policy. Consult with the International Council of
Museums (ICOM), the American Association of Museums (AAM) or the American
Association of State and Local History (AASLH) if you need assistance in
creating one.

Hopefully my discussion above has provided some answers and not added
confusion!

Kind regards,
Katherine Huit

I go back to the original question :

"I didn't see anything in the archives, so I will ask the group:  do any
of you have policies for non-permanent documents that are "?  What do you
use for disposition?"

There are some interesting points:
1."non-permanent documents" - for me it says that the organization make a
difference between permanent and non-permanent

2."non-permanent documents" - again, for me it says that there is a
practise in place to loan non-permanent documents.

Now, there is a question, what does it mean non-permanent documents and
why library or museum are interested in them?

I know lot of "stories" when organization has subscription for different
magazines according to its profile that are actually Reference documents
and very often are have been thrown away after few months.  In this case,
if those magazines were loaned to library, we can appreciated the
organization.

In another scenario, organization could borrow to museum some "documents",
that it has received regularly, let say annual award for..., and finally
decided that there is now place to keep the actual award, but only
reference in other records.
It is also possible.

Again, every think depends on the organisation's records management policy.

Regards,

Alex Babin

Contact [log in to unmask] for assistance To unsubscribe from
this list, click the below link. If not already present, place UNSUBSCRIBE
RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.