Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:03:27 -0800
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
We have found that we are continually in one tax audit cycle or
another, so we have decided to do just what you described -- set any
record series that may be subject to tax audit at 10 years. If the
audit runs longer (which would be rare), we would issue a legal hold
at that point. The retention for these series was recommended to be
Completion of Tax Audit or 10 years. We are trying to eliminate as
many conditional retention periods as we can. Since most of our tax
audits ran very near 10 years we just went with the longer retention
so we wouldn't have to figure a way to notify everyone who may hold
these records when the tax audit was complete.

That being said, we haven't actually had to live with this yet as our
retention schedule has not been approved yet -- we're aiming for the
end of the year.

Nolene Sherman
Records Manager since 1996. Gone wonky since 1998.