Sender:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:42:43 -0800
From:
"Enns, Lois" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi everyone,

We are currently reviewing our municipal property tax records which we
sort by various activities including:
Tax Sale; Mortgage Company Payments; Web Customer Payments; Interest
Rates; Drainage Parcel Tax; Adjustments and Transfers; Bankruptcy
Notices; Deferments and Exemptions; Forfeit and Seizure; Levy
Adjustments; Pre-payments; Penalties, Refunds; and Remittance Stubs.

Our current retention period is permanent. We are considering moving to
a 10 year retention, which would allow the standard 6/7 years for
financial records, plus three years for any appeals and audits to be
completed.

In terms of legislation, we're located in BC/Canada. I'm not seeing
anything that is directly applicable in either LGMA or ARCS/ORCS.

In terms of operational activity, we often go back several years on
appeals, but it is very seldom that we go back more than 10 years.

Interested in all comments relating to Property Tax records.

Thanks very much,
Lois Enns

P.S. If you have any comments on Home Owner Grants, I'd be interested in
that as well. Based on an incident related to audits, my understanding
is six years under the Document Disposal Act, but I can't find a
reference.

LOIS ENNS  BA MISt | RECORDS MANAGER
CITY OF SURREY
Legislative Services Division
14245 56 Ave, Surrey, BC, Canada V3X 3A2
P 604 591-4554 | 604 591 8731 www.surrey.ca