Sender:
From:
Christian Meinke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:53:03 -0800
The main benefit of PDF/A-1a is that content is tagged so it can be
rendered on different screen sizes. This  makes sense when you are
generating the PDF from native electronic documents, especially when they
may be viewed on mobile devices, but not so much when you are scanning
hard copy to create images. You can still include the appropriate metadata
tags to make the scanned image PDF/A-1a compliant, but I'm not really sure
you would be making the document any "better" in any archival preservation
sense.

On the other hand doing some OCR to add full text searching might be a way
to make it a more "findable" document, but that alone won't make it
PDF/A-1a

Christian Meinke, CRM
Southern California Edison
Information Governance