Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:47:18 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
from the RM-UK list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: E Lomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Subject: [RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK] Google search rankings for RM
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all

I am undertaking some research looking at the role of RM in different
countries. I was just trying out the new Google search engine which lets you
look at and rank different Google search trends. Interestingly it is Kenya
that ranks top of the table for records management searches, Australia comes
in 6th, and Ireland 10th. The USA and UK don’t figure in the top 10. However
RM and knowledge management searches are fairly level. I attach the link for
the search engine with an IM, RM, and KM comparison
http://www.google.com/trends?q=information+management%2C+records+management%2C+knowledge+management&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1.

However, when you put in the professional titles of records manager,
knowledge manager and chief information officer then the UK and USA are in
the top 3.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=records+manager%2C+knowledge+manager%2C+chief+information+officer&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Is that because we are person centric in the UK?

When you start putting in professions like accountant, records managers are
dwarfed. 'Librarian' searches also dwarf ‘records manager’ searches and
‘archivist’ searches are certainly significantly higher than the 'records
manager' search, except if the ‘records manager’ is combined with an
‘information manager’ search.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=archivist%2C+librarian%2C+records+manager%2C+information+manager&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

It is quite revealing.

Elizabeth Lomas
Northumbria University

To view the list archives go to:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK
To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with
the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK

For any content based queries, please email

Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va
http://twitter.com/RAINbyte