Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:04:31 -0500
From:
"Westlund, Cheryl" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
When I was in higher education in Indiana, as a land grant college, we also received this request from a variety of people/companies.  Since we already had these records, we had to produce them.  We had 2 different records that we originally provided in hardcopy at about 800 pages total.  One was a course listing with instructor's name and the other was the matching grade distribution.  The company would then combine the 2 reports into one database so that students could pick their professor based on the stats.  We eventually converted one of the reports to an on-line course catalog and so I only had to provide the link to the on-line data.  The grade distribution was sent via email in pdf and so the companies still had to combine the 2 reports.

The sunshine laws were created to show transparent governments.  But in my experience, the media, nor the constituent, was my primary requestor.  The primary requestors were either big businesses asking for copies of their competitors bids or lawyers seeking employment contracts for coaches...so they could get even more money for the coaches they represent.

Thanks,
Cheryl Westlund, CRM
Formerly a public record administrator....