Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:12:12 -0500
From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Greetings to all,

The City of New York is reorganising the line of command for records
management.

I'm getting questions from the new management about why we chose the
"business function-based" model for designing our new records retention
and disposition schedules, AND why, in the process, we reduced the
number of "buckets" to which a schedule is assigned.

The contention is that having fewer buckets means that more records are
retained beyond the minimum retention requirement (if they were
identified individually), and this raises the cost and increase the
risks of records-keeping.

The countervailing advantages (simplicity, ease of updates, etc.) do not
seem to register.

I'm being asked "what other government entities (preferably states or
large cities in the United States) have chosen this approach?"

If you know of a government entity that has adopted "business
function-based" model, I would appreciate hearing of it and, ideally,
getting a knowledgeable contact person in that government.

Many thanks for your help.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212-788-8615