Sender:
From:
"Buchanan, Meaghan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:04:49 -0600
Hello All,

I've definitely been more of a "lurker" on this list, mainly because I'm still so new to the RM profession.  As a bit of another introduction, I'm working at a Canadian university college.  I'm officially listed as the "Archivist", but I work with RM, Archives, and government documents.  I've been out of library school since 2003, and have worked mainly in cataloguing and archives.  My current job is the first time I've really done any RM, and I'm feeling rather out of my depth on a few issues.

1.        Financial aid records.  Our financial aid officer is not sure how long to keep her records-things like scholarship, grant, loan information, and so on.  I've done some searching, and in other Canadian universities they seem to be part of the student's file, but they aren't here.

2.       Course evaluations, syllabi, blank exams, etc.  We've got 2 different things to worry about.  We are a University College, which in our case means that we have degree programs (the University) and certificates/diplomas (the College), as well as the in-class portion of some the provinces' apprenticeship programs.   In Manitoba, Universities and Colleges are regulated differently, and when you add in the apprenticeship programs....no wonder I'm confused!  I know that, in the past, when we were a full-blown College, course information such as curriculum, syllabi, etc. were supposed to be kept-not always enforced though.  Universities, I am pretty sure, don't usually keep full course curricula, but I've heard of some that keep just the syllabi.  I guess I'm looking for "best practises" here.

3.       Senate/Board of Governors sub-committee minutes.  We already keep minutes from the Senate, Board of Governors, and our Council of Elders (since this is a primarily Aboriginal institution in a largely Aboriginal area).  But I'm curious about how other universities deal with the sub-committees of these groups-like Curriculum Committees, etc.  Especially since there are 15-20 copies of each set of minutes floating around-which copy would be the "Official Copy Of Record", so to speak?

4.       Do any other institutions have "Institutional Research" offices?  Ours deals with various internal research areas, in addition to things like staff surveys, and so on.  I have absolutely NO clue how to deal with these records.

5.       Eventually, I'll move on from just focussing on certain key departments to encompass the entire University.  Does anybody else get records from, for example, the Security office (especially if it's a contracted company) or the custodial/building maintenance department?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for asking so many questions-but there's so much that I don't know that help would be appreciated!

Meaghan Buchanan, MLIS
Archivist
University College of the North
436 7th St. E