Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 10:08:58 -0400
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
< An organization does not HAVE to create records just to document that you destroy/purge information per policy,>

Depends on the organization and laws/regs governing its records program.  I implemented a tracking system (for both paper and electronic) for two reasons.  The first is that we are required to report what we have deleted or destroyed to the state.  The second is that I have had to either issue certified statements or appear in court to state what was destroyed/deleted, when it was destroyed/deleted, and how it was destroyed/deleted.  So a tracking system in our case has great value.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division