Sender:
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 16:45:36 -0500
From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
>> Can anyone explain the difference between the terms "migration" or
conversion?<<

I think they are very different terms.  Migration is to move materials from one location to another without changing the material.  Think of geese, they migrate each spring and fall, but are still geese.  In my world, I would be migrating content if I moved it from a tape library to virtual disk.

Conversion is to process a change so that the original becomes something different.  We convert money from one currency to another.  I am converting files if I print a Word DOC to PDF.

Often times we combine the two activities into a single business process.

Hope this helps.

Bill Roach, CRM

Opinions provided are my own.