Date:
Fri, 27 May 2011 08:37:37 -0400
From:
"Hulme, Janice M" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Larry wrote:
If you have a retention schedule that requires you to keep certain records longer than 4 yrs, and records CAN be recd by email, why would the organization agree to delete email at 4yrs?

Thank you, all. As I expected, the responses (both on and off line) have been most enlightening and so very much appreciated!

We are:
-years away from having e-mail classification software or content mgmt system.
-can not afford to buy more servers to keep ALL e-mails until those years pass.
-can not continue to afford the overburdensome (and overtimeconsuming) task of discovery of the overwhelming volume of unmanaged e-mail content.

New Q:
I know there are some out there struggling with the same problem.  Do you "move or lose" e-mails after 180 days?  Or after the longest Statute of Limitations that can be found? or after your available space is full?  Are .pdf's in a backed up network drive the answer?  (I anticipate a new traning & audit program in my future.)

Janice Hulme
Supervisor, Records Management Program
SEPTA Information Technology Department
1234 Market Street, 8th Floor