Sender:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 12:36:45 -0700
From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Deanna asked:

"Just wanted to get some opinions - would you say that it's better to
house active records centers in basements of buildings (water does roll
downhill unfortunately), or on a ground level or higher floor?  Keep in
mind we're in tornado country here (Oklahoma), which is why I'm torn."

I'm in earthquake country here in southern California, but have
experienced flooding on upper floors in high-rises (due to plumbing
problems and to fire sprinklers going off), as well as in basements.
Not to mention water damage from the weather (which can come down from
leaking/damaged roofs and/or leaky windows, or up from rising water
tables), or wildfires.  You also need to address the operational ($$)
concerns of the organization that you support.  Generally, office space
costs more per sq. ft. than basement or storeroom space; businesses tend
to put file rooms in the cheapest space that they can -- unless there
are compelling business reasons to locate them nearer to specific
employees/departments.  I'd recommend being aware of the different rates
and being ready to defend putting file rooms in costlier locations, if
that's what you believe is best.

Circular 230 Notice: In accordance with Treasury Regulations we notify you that any tax advice given herein (or in any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or in any attachments).

Attention: This message is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.