Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 13:52:36 -0400
Very true, Gary.

Proximity to interstates, railroads and major streets with truck traffic,
flight paths of major airports (especially near takeoff and landings), 100
and 500 year flood plain, underground gas or fuel lines are all major
concerns to consider for not only your organizations self-operated storage,
but commercial operations you may contract with as well.

The gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno CA last September didn't involve any
commercial businesses, but that same pipeline runs adjacent to the NARA
Facility in San Bruno, not too many miles away from where the explosion took
place.

With commercial providers being in business parks many times, it's difficult
to know what is under them, but when selecting a service provider, you
should definitely make a physical tour to see what is near them and who the
adjacent businesses are.  One that I had been storing a clients records at
years ago was the first firm in a business park, but when I went to visit
them 6 moths later, I found out that an auto repair business had opened up
on the opposite side of the "firewall". They stored vehicles inside, had
welding gas tanks and other fuel sources that made the risk more than I was
willing to accept.

The guideline available through ARMA for evaluating offsite commercial
service providers includes a checklist of the majority of the potential
hazards you may want to consider- naturally they aren't all of concern to
all businesses, but there may be some things in there users hadn't thought
of.  The Task Force that was involved in developing that included
individuals from both the user and service provider perspectives.  I think
it was one of the better items the SDC put out during my tenure as Chair.

Larry