Sender:
From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:29:56 -0700
Debra, I think it depends on the nature of the dashboard and how it captures
information. At one point in the county, we had a "dashboard" which in
essence was a series of graphic departmental reports issued to the
commissioners on a quarterly basis of key indicators. These were in essence
quarterly reports. As you know, more modern dashboards are interactive in
nature, operating in real time with constantly updated performance measures
to support decisions being made.

One would hope that such a dashboard would record a decision and the
associated metric when the decision was made. Think of it as an airliner's
"black box". I'm not familiar with the varieties of dashboards to know if
this is the case. However, I think to call the dashboard itself a record
would be confusing the interface with the actual record being recorded. An
if it is not being recorded, it should be, as the interface itself cannot,
in my opinion, serve as a record.

--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program