Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:27:15 -0400
From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Paul asked "Is it customary and appropriate for a vendor to charge for a Certificate of Destruction and, if so, what is the appropriate fee?"

Like the others who responded to your posting, I have never had to pay for a Certificate of Destruction, nor have I ever heard of someone who did.

HOWEVER, you also stated "Normally the Certificate will include photographs of the material being destroyed although we waived that requirement this time as it was a witnessed destruction." I have never required a photographic record of the destruction process. Is it possible your vendor mistakenly charged you for the photography? I'm aware of your comment "we waived that requirement this time as it was a witnessed destruction", but it's possible the billing staff did not know you had waived the requirement, and so they billed you "normally". Have you asked your vendor about this?

Also, a question:  I can understand, under what appear to be special legal circumstances, the need to visually document the destruction, but why still photography, as opposed to video recording?

Or, if cost saving is a consideration and the destruction facility is local, why not simply detail an appropriate staffer to witness every destruction?

Best regards,

Fred