Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:33:13 -0500
From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I have to agree with Dwight.  Our totally decentralized, academic freedom loving environment leaves us few options but to try and make the user the "records manager" of their own email.  To do so, we have to make it as easy as possible for them, because if it isn't easy, they won't do it.  They may not do it anyway, but we always have hope.  The only way for us to even begin to win the email conundrum is at the desktop level, helping the employees set up their own filing systems, based on how they do business.  If they do it, it's because they know that they'll be able to find things easier when they need it, or when it's requested through our data practices act.

Besides, in our environment, most of the email is junk anyway.  We've told them what to keep and given them the authority to get rid of everything else.

That would probably frighten anyone in a corporate culture.  And for good reason.

I highly recommend Steve Bailey's book, Managing the Crowd - I don't necessarily agree with everything in it, but I do think we have to start finding new ways to manage the "stuff" coming at us.  It's not black and white anymore, and some of those wonderful tenets we have held most dear for many years in the RIM world will have to change.

Fondly,
Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
100 Church Street SE
502 Morrill Hall
Campus Mail Code 0263D