Sender:
From:
Kelly Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:05:39 -0500
Natasha, I'm a little confused about your statement below.  Can you clarify?  I
am confused because migration is simply moving a file from one place to
another without changing the file format.  Conversion is changing the file
format.  That's not new ISO terminology.

I think the subject of migration vs. conversion comes up every once in a
while...and I think the original article (http://www.kb.nl/nieuws/2011/keep-
en.html) about emulation might have gotten it wrong:

>"Long-term access: Generally speaking, there are two strategies for retaining
>access to data on the long term: The first is migration. It converts an old file
>format into a new one that can be accessed with today’s software. The
>second approach is emulation."

This is not migration...this is conversion.  You can tell when they have to
say 'CONVERTS an old file'.

Thanks!

Kelly Hamilton, CRM
Records Analyst