Sender:
From:
Kelly Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:27:02 -0400
That's a really good question, and I think that the trick is to figure out what
naturally motivates the employee (and I don't mean a raise, although that's a
pretty good motivator).

For instance, does the department need to have their records boxed up and
sent to storage?  The motivator for them is to have enough room to work and
to have those boxes out from underfoot and sent to storage.  The practice is
to not do that unless the boxes are labeled, which means that the information
needs to be put into the records management system so the label can be
generated.  No label means the boxes pile up.

Does the AP employee need that invoice to be paid?  The motivator is to have
the invoice paid.  The practice is to not pay the invoice unless it is in the
electronic repository and it goes through the appropriate workflow and is
marked as paid.  Or, for a more manual process, the invoice isn't paid until it is
matched up with the PO and both of them are put into a file together.

I think it is all about those natural consequences, but only those that are
motivating to the employee.  Some will care about policy and compliance, but
the more you can insert RIM activities into an already occurring process where
the process can't continue until it is done, the more compliance there will be.

Kelly Hamilton, CRM
Records Analyst
Safeway