Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:19:56 -0400
From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hugh asked "... where are New York's oldest records?"

It's my understanding a fair collection of them is held at the New York State Archives in Albany (see the URL http://www.archives.nysed.gov/aindex.shtml).

There are clusters of 17th Century records in many village and town halls, and County Clerk offices, around the state.

I do believe the New York Public Library, and possibly the New-York Historical Society, have some records from that period.

The New York County office of the New York City Register has microfiche of land records from 1667 on (New York County is Manhattan).

There are staff of the NY State Archives who subscribe to this list, and I expect they can provide a much more detailed and accurate an account than I.

Warmest regards,

Fred