Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:12:24 -0700
Part of your answer may lie in whatever published policies and procedures
you have related to Records Management/Record Storage at your institution.

For example, if your policy states once records are transferred, they
become institutional assets, then you should be able to establish rules
about how they are used and handled.  On the other hand, if it states the
"control" remains with the owning organizations and that records management
simply assumes "custody", then they remain THEIR records, and essentially,
they can do with them as they wish.

One way you MAY be able to get them to be more responsive is to start
charging back for anything that is sent to offsite storage- they will then
see line item costs billed to their organization for:

Initial Transfer
Monthly Storage
Requests Back
Storage (holding place fees while out)
Permanent Removal

If they are made aware that "records retrieved from storage will result in
fees continuing to be charged for storage for up to 6 months, at which time
the vendor will be informed to consider them "permanently removed" and then
they will be charged $X.XX for this action", it might get them to be a bit
more reactive to the reminders.

If the institution is unwilling to charge organizations back for these
services, whoever is responsible for the budget in YOUR area might want to
be aware of:

Monthly costs for storage, by organization
Monthly costs for place holder fees for boxes removed from storage, by
organization
Monthly costs (total) for records not returned to storage
Monthly costs for permanent removal fees, by organization

This may get the attention of someone who is fighting for budget dollars
and encourage them to rethink the polices and procedures.

Larry

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Mohammad Ahmad <[log in to unmask]

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA