Sender:
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 01:46:29 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
On Aug 30, 2012, at 12:01 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: "Long, Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: August 29, 2012 5:28:35 PM EDT
> Subject: Optimum Storage Conditions for Backup Tapes TDK LT0 3s
>
> I'm working up storage requirements for Backup Tapes, in particular TDK LT0 3s, and am looking for guidance/resources on conditions such as temperature, humidity, electromagnetic/static, etc.
>
> Any guidance/direction you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Donnell Long
> Records Management Manager
> Waste Treatment Plant Project

Donnell here is some information that might help: (Some from ISO )

The retrievability of the information on magnetic tape is dependent upon that of the complete magnetic system. This includes the stability of the tape itself, the care and handling of the media itself,  the equipment on which it is run ( bi-annual service to align the equipment and recording and play heads is important) and, in some systems, upon the necessary software. The environmental conditions in the room where the media is recorded as well as where it is stored all must be evaluated.

It is recognized that tape records will eventually have to be copied or transferred to another material when the system becomes obsolete. Nevertheless, it is advantageous to prolong the tape life so that the material does not become the controlling factor. Protecting a master that is seldom used versus the working copes that see the daily wear and tear is critical.

The second component of magnetic tape is the oxide (or metal particle) binder layer which determines the magnetic characteristics. A magnetic characteristic of importance in the aging behaviour of tape is the development of print-through of analog tape. However, both research and use have clearly demonstrated that the critical concerns are primarily changes in physical properties, not the loss of magnetic characteristics.

Magnetic fields in the office or storage environment should be analyzed. Proximity to electrical equipment and transformers in storage can damage the media. Exposure to magnetic fields above a certain level long term can damage the media.

Upon use and aging, there may be changes in the friction properties, abrasivity, binder-base adhesion, and binder cohesion that render the tape unusable. Many of these changes occur as a result of binder degradation. Unfortunately, the user has no practical means of determining the stability of the composite tape and must rely on the studies of the manufacturer. (In newer magnetic media they have a chip that records usage for active tapes to determine remaining life capabilities.)

Regardless of the inherent stability of the binder layer, it is known that good storage conditions will extend the life of all tapes. While a good storage environment cannot reverse the degradation that has already occurred, it can slow down additional deterioration. Temperature and humidity can be matched based on the level of refrigeration available but in the real world a storage room with 65º to 70º and a relative humidity that will maintain 35% RH plus or minus 5% will provide the stability that is cost efficient. Lower temperature could have a beneficial effect but only if a capability exists to slowly transition the media from refrigerated state to room temperature. This is a cost investment NO ONE makes. If media is required to be stored for an extremely long life, it is better to migrate the information to newer media as media degrades over time no matter what.

The media should also be stored in an environment with minimal exposure to ultraviolet light sources and the use of cases that shield the media is critical. Any dropping of media is hazardous to the media.

As a side note the new LTO5 tapes are a great advancement in media. Imagine Drag and Drop capabilities on tape. These tapes are 3,000 more accurate than the disk to disk storage systems. And far more cost efficient.  (And I don't sell that stuff. But I read the Horison White Paper on Tape versus Cloud. ) All this stuff can be found in ISO 18923, 18925, NIST Publications.  Depending on where you are, I might be able to point out someone who is doing it right and you could go tour their environment.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM