Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:08:31 -0500
Well....
I looked into this about ten years ago and again about three years ago.
There are few easy answers.
Some of the factors that need to be looked at are:

Function
        property protection
        life safety
        Requirement by outside agency

Capabilty
        Legacy systems
        Current IT infrastructure
        Future/imminent upgrades to infrstructure

Organizational structure
        Centrally controlled
        Dsitributed Management

Subjects imaged
        General public
        Students
        Union workers
        Indiviuals with security high security clearance

The issues surrounding security are in some respects getting easier.
Individuals have increasingly become innured to being filmed. We as a
population take it for granted that we are being watched. This does not
mean protections don't exist in specific circumstances and it behooves us
to know if thase situations exist as we create, maintain and make available
these recordings over time. We also incure risk in the event that we are
only recording for property security and not life safety. If you are
recording for property and a Life safety issue comes up later what are the
risks to retaining the recordings.  How long does a person have to make a
claim? If you destroy the recording after a fixed amount of time
automatically, do you have process in place to ensure the recording is
retained?

Can your infrastructure comply with a retention period you develop? Many
legacy systems are not able to retain the recordings for an extended amount
of time. They require physical intervention. The costs mount. Do you
accomodate the reality in your retention schedule or can you mandate
upgrades to come into compliance?

One big issue is that like many records issues we encounter, we are coming
late to the game. It is a drag on the orgainzations resources to come into
compliance. Can you force the issue?

By the by, "indefinitely" is not a retention period. If you use that to
often you risk folks asking why we need records management.
develop your retention schedule
Any other need to retain records, would for example, go into a litigation
hold, once the hold comes off the original retention period would apply.

I am off the land of OZ (Wisonsin) so have fun

Chris Flynn