Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:56:14 +0000
From:
"Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
This has been an interesting thread...

We get requests from time-to-time from out-of-state folks who want city records and invoke FOIA as their right to obtain these records.  FOIA does not apply to state laws.  States differ on how they define "public records.  Under NH law, for example, dog license records are confidential.  (Perhaps some state legislator got tired of receiving junk mail from pet grooming services.)

Some out-of-state requests are being submitted for commercial purposes: requests for copies of all liens on file in our office, or of all outstanding uncashed checks (unclaimed funds), or telephone calls looking to "verify" a voter's address (skip tracers), etc.  I do believe strongly that the public has the right to know how its government conducts it business.  I wonder sometimes, though, why our taxpayers have to support out-of-state commercial enterprises.  It does take staff time away from tasks that might be of more value to those we directly serve and who pay our salaries.

Paul Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH  03060