Sender:
From:
Angela Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:01:02 -0500
My sincere apologies.  I received a few phone calls last night from my listserv buddies indicating that I had posted a private email to the general public.  I had not intended that email for general consumption, so please ignore.  I thought I had simply committed a major error by hitting the reply button or perhaps hitting the send button while multi-tasking, but I could not remember sending that one because it was in my "wait and address later" pile.    I then started to get other alerts from colleagues indicating that they had received odd emails sent from my draft folder like unfinished family letters, unfinished articles, projects I was working on...and a visit to my antivirus software provider diagnosed a zero day "bomblet" malware program that took about six signature updates overnight and a full scan to get rid of.  I have now seen the entire television lineup between 12am and 5am.  I spent the rest of the time writing replies to puzzled inquiries and am now getting ready for work.

This particular virus appears in your mailbox as a "please rate your experience on our web site" with a highly generic questionnaire.  I had been shopping for achival supplies and my particular virus rode in via a survey that appeared to be from one of the sites that I had used to actually purchase supplies.  Three days later, it began to take the emails from my draft folder and use my distribution lists to send them out.  The emails still appear in my draft folder, but they are no longer bolded.  When I looked at the sent folder, they appeared with the number K00127 in the blind carbon copy, which I normally do not use or display.

The virus does not replicate in the emails sent out.  It is a nuisance virus designed to exploit the draft folder.  It only replicates if you open the link to the questionnaire and it will download even if you do not complete the questionnaire.  I was advised that, if I want to answer a survey about a vendor that I have used, it is best to go directly to the official site and just leave a customer service note or click on a link that is on the actual web site.  Valuable advice!

Technology...you gotta love and yet, it is sometimes it outwits you.

PS
  a.. To the many who got my email to Laurie Wheat about not charging for public speaking, that is correct.  I do not charge speaker fees and never will.  If I can combine my trip with business, I will try my best.  If you have a need, please contact me at [log in to unmask]
  b.. To those who received my unfinished compilation of the history of the Northern Pacific Railway in the area from Forsyte, MT to Billings, MT...stay tuned!  I cannot reply to all of the personal requests for more information, but am working with the lovely Joan Fischer from the Pompey's Pillar National Monument just east of Billings, MT.  She is working on exhibits and presentations and they will hopefully be available along with the facinating photographs that I found in our archives including pictures of General Custer who was guarding the railway survey crews and providing game for the expedition sent to find a way for the transcontinental railway.  There are so many amazing documents and photos from the early days of the railway!  I constantly have to wipe the drool off of my face when I see original letters written to the railroad from the Lewis and Clark expedition or come across original photos of steam engines, presidents attending "spike ceremonies" and other amazing items.
  c.. To those who read my unfinished articles about risk management and evaluating shred vendors and sent me some suggestions, THANKS!!!  You guys rock and I was having writer's block with those rewrites and all of the suggestions were invaluable!!!  I was inspired and will finish those articles shortly.
Love you guys!
Angela Fares