Sender:
From:
Anna Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:06:39 -0500
Dear Records Managers,

I wanted to ask your advice regarding numbering systems for records
centers.

To give you a general sense, our institution is pretty small. We have one
location and about 150 employees.    We have two small rooms offsite
that we use as a “Records Center”.  The rooms hold approximately 500
boxes in total.

We are currently in the process of devising a numbering system for the
records center shelving and have some divergent opinions amongst us. All
information will be entered into Archivists’ Toolkit for tracking.   The two
ways we are leaning are:

1)  Assign one unique location number (i.e. 1-500 for each box position on
shelves)

2)  Assign unique shelf numbers (1-36), section letter (A-E), location
position (f=front, b=back)to create a unique coordinate (i.e. 1, A, f).

We are trying to be mindful that our Records Center may grow over the
coming years and want to develop a system that is expandable.  We also
want to avoid over-complicating things as what might be necessary for a
government agency or fortune 500 company may not be necessary for
us.

In addition, we will be adding a more specific location tracking system into
our Archives in the near future and are wondering if the Archives location
tracking system should use the same type of numbering system as the
records center or different as box sizes vary as well as the shelving type.

I would welcome any advice.  Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Anna

Anna Clarkson
Project Archivist