Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:02:31 -0400
From:
Don Lueders <[log in to unmask]>
Ginny Jones writes:  " ...Mr. Inglis is a bit behind the times regarding the
"traditional mandate" for RIM."

I've known Nick on a professional level for a few years and even interviewed
him for SharePointRecordsManagement.com back when he was with AIIM and had
helped develop AIIM's SharePoint Information Governance tool and I found him
to be extremely competent.  But I have to agree with you, Ginny, Nick is not
a Records Management 'expert' as this article implies.  Nick has a varied
professional background mostly focused around marketing in one form or
another.  How he feels qualified to refer to Records Management - a noble
and vital profession that has existed for THOUSANDS OF YEARS - a 'failed
experiment' is simply incomprehensible.

But this is just another of my countless concerns with the whole
'Information Governance' movement.  I have yet to see a definition of
Information Governance that isn't dominated by traditional Records
Management practices.  Yet, when I look at the perceived thought leaders in
the Information Governance community, it is overwhelmingly dominated by
marketers, product sales reps, and members of the legal profession.

As I said in a recent NextGenRM.org post, I am not philosophically opposed
to redefining traditional Records Management practices and labeling it
'Information Governance'.  But the unsustainable information lifecycle
management problems organizations around the world are facing today will
only be resolved by qualified, experienced Records Management professionals
implementing traditional information lifecycle management practices using
state-of-the-art technology and forward thinking, next-generation records
management methodologies.