Sender:
From:
Chris Caplinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:24:53 -0500
Jan,

Full disclosure, I've been working with SharePoint since 2003 so there may be some
biased for sure.  SharePoint, in it's infancy was not a very good records repository, but
that has changed, especially since the release of SP 2010.  There is revision control,
although it can turned off or configured incorrectly.

It is not a perfect solution, but I've only found 2 major cons against SharePoint as a
repository.  The first is that line item security will not scale, thus cannot be used for
production.  You will need to use security at the document library (list) level.  The second
is that out of the box, content (records so to speak), known as BLOBs, are stored in the
database.  You can resolve security by good planning at the library level or purchasing a
third party solution.  Removing the BLOBs is very commonplace, which can be
accomplished with third parties or in house developers.  Neither are required and I've
implemented hundreds of solutions just using what is already there.

On the records management side, I don't think SharePoint out of the box can really be
considered a records management tool without third party tools or in house
customization.  Again, there is biased based on my current business, but out of the box
you're missing some commonly used record tools.

Most importantly, whether SharePoint or any other system, your success will be 99%
based on who implements it.  Spend your money on design, configuration and
implementation and not as much on the technology itself.

Hope this helps,

Chris Caplinger
RecordLion