Sender:
From:
Gary Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2014 06:09:33 -0500

I have been told to create and manage an association-wide records
management/retention program--and have no clue where to start.
<<

Hi David. Lots of people have been there, and it's not just RIM. I
remember one employer asking me to start a construction safety program
when I had no knowledge of construction or safety. <=8^0

<<
We need to develop a program but have almost no money. So was thinking
maybe an association might be a good place to begin. Found ARMA and AIIM.
Any others out there? Between the two which might be better for a small
nonprofit?  One of the deliverables will be to create an RFP for a phased
program over time.

Good places to start, of course. Don't forget your own organization, which
has lots of info on its website about starting information governance
programs. Also, the Foundation Center's website has RIM info for non
profits, as does the National Council for Non-Profits.

<<
Are there any reasonably priced consultants or companies that deal with
small organizations?

Could be. But you'll have to outline your program first, then determine
which components you can do in-house and which you'll need help with.

<<
From those who have started from zero, like us, how did you go about
creating an organization-wide business records retention program?
Any advice, referrals, direction would be much appreciated!

The resources discussed above will have the information on how to plan a
program. My advise to you is, outline the program and then take it to the
people who directed you to do this and say "Here is the program. Now, are
you going to support this, and with what resources? AND, are you going to
back me up on compliance with the policies that will need to be put in
place? Oh, and please put that in writing and publish it in an
association-wide communication before we start."

Good luck

<<
David Sweet
Library Manager

Gary

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender. This message may be considered a commercial electronic message under Canadian law or this message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US law. You may unsubscribe at any time from receiving commercial electronic messages from PNC at http://pages.e.pnc.com/globalunsub/
PNC, 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222; pnc.com