Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:31:45 -0800
On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Kathryn Johnson <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> I've run into a situation where two people are interpreting the minimum
> retention period of "1 year + current" differently.  I can see both sides
> and am now not sure which is correct...hoping you all can help me out.
> Does 1 year + current mean that the file needs to be kept for 1 year + the
> current year AFTER the end date on the file?  Or does it mean that you only
> need to keep files for the current year + one previous year?

Seldom will you get two or more people together and not have one of them
interpreting SOMETHING.

But as with many RIM discussions, this is another case of the 6 visually
impaired individuals and the Pachyderm....

Our retention schedule only states the ACTUAL retention rule, but everyone
is given instruction that the retention period is the CURRENT YEAR, plus
the stated retention period.

Therefore, any records generated in the year 2013 are to be retained for
the entire year (2013) plus stated retention period (one to X years).  As
stated by others, the primary reason for this is to simplify the management
and disposition of records in storage.  The transmittals and box only state
the INCLUSIVE YEAR for the records, and disposition notices are sent out in
the last quarter of the calendar year of the required retention period.
months to evaluate the records and determine if there is a need to request
an extension for retention.

The only exception to the "year generated" rule are purchase orders and
contracts, which are retained for x years following the closure of the
agreement.

Larry

--
Larry