Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:21:36 -0600
Comments:
To: RAINbyte <[log in to unmask]>, AIN <[log in to unmask]>, ARCHIVES-UK <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>, RECMGMT-UK <[log in to unmask]>
J*OHNSTON, IOWA*—Some 40,000 years ago, some primitive peoples painted
pictograms of meaningful events on the walls of caves, mostly found in
Europe and Asia. Here is a question for those of us who are documenting the
stories about the meaningful events of our time. In 40,000 years hence,
when we are viewed as the primitive people of the past, what will scholars
and historians in those days be able to deduce from the stored 0s and 1s?

At the recent SMPTE conference in Hollywood, my colleagues Merrill Weiss,
Brian Campanotti and James Snyder presented a session entitled “Standards
for Archives and Production Workflows.” The fundamental talking point
within the three presentations was the recently published SMPTE AXF
standard and the ongoing work to further expand and refine that standard.
And while Merrill’s and Brian’s presentations were interesting, informative
and engaging, I really want to focus this article on the presentation that
James Snyder from the Library of Congress did, called “Media Archiving,
Standards and the Library of Congress.” James’ presentation really
highlighted and brought home the challenge of archiving in the digital age.
http://bit.ly/1wbCBby
http://bit.ly/1wbCBby+

--
Peterk