Sender:
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:47:17 -0500
Just thinking out loud today (and I know it is Friday afternoon).

I am familiar with many of the key players in the Long-term digital
preservation discussion, but while doing a little research on legacy
records I made copies of two quotes that make me think we have jumped too
quickly to write off "paper" as a viable permanent media.

The COSCA Joint Technology Committee, *Digital Preservation Working Paper,
6/2/14 DRAFT *states:

“Compared to their paper and microfilm counterparts, electronic record
keeping systems are generally more vulnerable to undetected alteration or
loss. This *vulnerability means that there is the need for more
comprehensive and detailed planning to preserve digital records over time*.
[1]
<file:///C:/Users/Mary/Documents/Professional%20Development%20-%20RIM/ARMA/ARMA%20Chattanooga/2014%20Meetings/Education%20Committee/Newsletter%20Articles/3%20%20February/Education%20Newsletter%20Articles%20-%20February%202015%20ARMA%20Chattanooga.docx#_ftn1>
The preservation of digital records also requires more intervention and
expertise than is the case with paper records. Stored under the proper
conditions, paper records have survived for centuries. Long-term digital
preservation, on the other hand, involves regular monitoring, frequent
intervention, and specialized technical capabilities.  Finally, the
longevity (market life) of digital records technology products and the
vendor community providing systems and support services is volatile.
Maintaining this long-term commitment to use digitally stored information
requires a series of activities that maintain its retrievability,
readability, and intelligibility.”  (Conference of State Court
Administrators (COSCA))

------------------------------

[1]
<file:///C:/Users/Mary/Documents/Professional%20Development%20-%20RIM/ARMA/ARMA%20Chattanooga/2014%20Meetings/Education%20Committee/Newsletter%20Articles/3%20%20February/Education%20Newsletter%20Articles%20-%20February%202015%20ARMA%20Chattanooga.docx#_ftnref1>
*Electronic
Records Management Handbook*, State of California Department of General
Services, 2002.

AND,

The key question in digital preservation is "How much information are you
willing to lose over what time period?"  It is not a question of
"Zero-Loss," but rather, "How much loss is tolerable and at what
cost." *www.Saving
the Digital World.com*

Just curious as to your honest opinions*.*
Thanks,
Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371