Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:28:48 +0000
base64
From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Jenny Swadosh <[log in to unmask]>, "David Kay, MLS" <[log in to unmask]>
An intensely disturbing story, from the New York Digital Archivists Working Group list, courtesy of Jenny Swadosh and Albin Lohr-Jones.

Best regards,

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Vice-President, Records Management
New York City Economic Development Corporation
www.nycedc.com<http://www.nycedc.com/>
212-312-3903 (w)

I'm really looking forward to reading Jon Ronson's forthcoming book on shame's role in the modern world, So You've Been Publicly Shamed. In the meantime, here's an extract courtesy of the Guardian about the role of the Internet (specifically Google algorithms) in fostering shame and rehabilitating reputation.

I've long been concerned about archivists' lack of understanding (sophistication?) about what exactly the function of social media is, and this article beautifully illustrates my concerns:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/21/internet-shaming-lindsey-stone-jon-ronson
I'd like to hear folks' reactions.
With all good wishes,
Jenny Swadosh