Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:29:58 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 PM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> SALT LAKE CITY — For years, people have been taking digital photos with
> everything from big DSLR-style cameras to smartphones for quick snapshots.
>
> Those memories used to be preserved on film, and if treated right, they
> would seemingly last a lifetime. But what happens now that everything is
> digital? Can we just hand off our hard drives, or burn DVD copies of our
> photos for our children or grandchildren and expect them to last?
>
> "You're in for a really, really big disappointment," said Paul Brockbank,
> CEO of Milleniata.

I'm glad the CEO of the company feels confident that his product/s will be
the "Be All; End All" of data storage... hopefully he makes his money and
gets out quick =)

How many times have we heard that the "Bulletproof Media" has been created
in the past decade?

The site lists a number of drives that can write to/read these discs
TODAY... but what about future hardware?  And what about the formats
photos, videos or documents are in that are written to this media?  If the
formats are no longer supported and/or the hardware no longer exists to
access the content written to the media, who cares how long the media lasts?

Over the past 20 years, the ONLY thing I've seen that approaches
"permanent" is NORSAM HD Rosetta... if the data is written in analog
format, it's there 'forever'...but it requires an electron microscope to
read it.

I have a hard time believing any media you can buy 50 discs for <$150 is
going to be a forever option.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*